Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki is a cultural leader, playing a vital role as an inclusive hub for creativity for the city’s diverse communities. Our thought-provoking immersive experiences and public programmes enrich the lives of Aucklanders and visitors alike.
With multiple exhibition spaces spreading across four levels, our award-winning building is a fitting home to a remarkable collection of over 16,000 New Zealand and international artworks. Along with displays of iconic work from our permanent collection, we present exciting temporary exhibitions offering fresh ways to think about art and participate in creativity.
As an event venue, the Gallery is one of the most beautiful settings in the city. From the modern, light-filled North Atrium to the elegant Lower Grey Gallery, sophisticated Mackelvie Gallery and sun-lit East Terrace, the building blends classic Victorian style with 21st-century architecture. It offers a variety of extraordinary settings for any occasion from product launches to wedding ceremonies and gala dinners.
Everything about the Gallery is fabulous. We are so lucky to have this in Auckland.
- New Zealand’s largest collection of art
- Over 500,000 visitors a year, more than 90% satisfaction rating
- 20 exhibitions staged last year, including the first New Zealand exhibition – Lee Mingwei and His Relations: The Art of Participation – of the renowned artist Lee Mingwei
- 99,000 visitors to the record-breaking exhibition The Māori Portraits: Gottfried Lindauer’s New Zealand
- More than 100 artworks by renowned European artists, including JMW Turner, Matisse and Picasso, exhibited in The Body Laid Bare: Masterpieces from Tate